Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Goatkeeper's Prayer


I thank you Lord for giving me a simple lot in life.
Born a farmer's daughter and became a laborer's wife.
I don't socialize and visit as my neighbors do,
but when I'm caring for my herd Lord,
I feel closest to you.
I've spent nights in the stable till nearing morning's light,
Caring for a pregnant doe, just trying to calm her fright.
I've delivered her baby kids, and placed them by her side.
These simple things Lord, have given me a sense of pride.
So when you call me home, Lord, to be with Papaw and you,
I wonder if you'd have a little herd
that needs some tending to?
I don't need a lot of riches like silver and gold,
Just a lot of little kids to tend and hold.
Oh, listen to me Lord, trying to tell you what to do....
You created me so no one knows me as well as you.
So whatever you have in mind for me will be just fine.
I'll say goodnight now and ask you Lord to keep an eye
on me and mine.

By Irma Brown
Bellville Acres Dairy Goats

No comments: